Undressed my Window

You may remember I put up a curtain when a neighbor moved in next door....it worked for a few months but I felt too closed in....felt the need to air out the kitchen and let a little more light in. I don't get direct sunlight in this window but keeping it covered made it pretty dark in the downstairs living area.  I decided to put some of my wooden cutting boards to work and propped them up in the window sill...they act as a bit of a privacy screen while letting a LOT more light in than what I had before.
The other houses are just so darn close.  Someday I'll have my house in the country but right now I have to work with what I have.

I LOVE vintage wooden cutting boards....they are easy to decorate with as well as being functional.  One of my cutting boards was made some years ago by my daughter...she made it in school and presented it to me for Mother's Day.....I believe she was in Middle School.  I loved it and used it all the time....ALL the time....so much so that over the years it started to show a lot of wear and tear and finally separated where she had joined the pieces of wood....
...I stopped using it and put it aside until I came across an Etsian who makes cutting boards and asked him if he could repair it for me.  It meant far too much to me to leave it broken and unused....after all it was made with love from my girl.  The Etsian I found was David from Darbynwoods and after sending him pictures of my cutting board he agreed to repair it for me.  For a small reasonable fee...David returned the cutting board to it's former glory...and he even put some rubber feet on it and a sawtooth hanger in case I wanted to hang it on the wall.
I was beyond thrilled.  I've decided to just use this as a display item...it was hanging on the wall for a bit and for now I have it grouped with my vintage boards.  I cannot say enough about the quality workmanship and care that Darbynwoods put into this restoration and I am so thankful for all the work David has done for me.

I highly recommend David's shop, as he is a master woodworker who handcrafts an array of wooden items ranging from cutting boards, candle holders, bottle stoppers, pizza wheels, bowls and many many more.

Darbynwoods offers many styles, sizes and varieties of wood. His items make GREAT gifts and his prices are fantastic.   Thank you so much David!!

3 comments:

david from Darbynwoods said...

it was my pleasure to make the repair. there is nothing more important than a parents love for a child. the cutting board is a reminder of a time in your life with your daughter. memories are important

Vee said...

A nice touch...the feet and a hanger. It looks great and I can see why it has such sentimental value to you. Your cutting board pig selection is quite a little flock of pigs...what is a group of pigs called anyway? I love the individual bread board cutting boards so that each person get s his or her own.

ohiofarmgirl said...

I hear ya...my neighbor is about 1/4 mile away but he uses binoculars to spy on us...so creepy. I have three windows facing that direction (above my sink. Right now I have blinds but I am thinking of a few fence sections instead....I will keep you posted!!! Dianntha