Have your Cake and Eat it too

    As many of you know, I have gone off white flour and as a result have had great weight loss results.  White flour is just one of those things that turns to glue once it enters my body and attaches itself to every single fat cell it can find.  Dieting can be a bit boring at times, even for the most determined....thanks to hormones and the like I still crave the occasional chocolate "bad" food.  I used to think nothing about treating myself to a candy bar at the grocery store checkout...but sometimes I go to the store several times a week so this could be a problem as you can probably see.

    I have found a *spectacular* whole wheat chocolate cake recipe that passes the Bittersweet Household muster test...I have even been told that this cake tastes like the Tasty Kake Chocolate Cupcakes...now if you are familiar with Tasty Kake then you know what that means.  I found this particular recipe on I Dare You to Eat It....which is a blog mostly about food storage.  This chocolate cake is made without eggs or butter, and it is AMAZING.  Yes, it has sugar, but everything in moderation can't be too bad for you.

So...here it is

Fresh Ingredients
(None!)
Storage Ingredients
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold water
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into a 9 inch by 9 inch baking pan, two inches deep. (The pan does not have to be greased.) Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes. Test with a fork for doneness.


Please keep in mind that this cake will taste much different once cooled than it does when warm....the "whole wheat" aroma and flavor will subside into a nice plain old chocolate cake aroma and flavor and those who don't know it's whole wheat will never know unless you tell them.





                               Photo courtesy of Aubree Lane on Etsy
How cute are these tags?  They would go so well with handmade gifts that include chocolate...hop on over to Aubree Lane and get them while they're still fresh!

Blessings for a Great week!

3 comments:

Liane said...

The frosting!! Tell me about the frosting!!! PLEASE!!! It looks SO yummy!
I ate two Hostess cupcakes in my car after grocery shopping Saturday...I was so desperate for chocolate that I ate them D.R.Y...yes, I suffered, but it was worth it. Never mind I had a 3 Musketeers the day before....hormones made me do it

Vee said...

If you say so...I'm sending a friend over to see this as she's going off white flour, too. Presumably she'd be able to substitute Splenda or something for the sugar as well.

bj said...

omgOSH....I am pretty sure you are my NEXT best bloggy friend, right behind, VEE, who sent me over to see this awesome cake. I am waaay passed sweetness...it's CHOCOLATE I am really missing. You can bet I will make this IN THE MORNING.:)
Thanks so much.
I am off white flour and sugar...but Splenda is my best FOODY friend. :) I will use both Splenda and the Splenda Blend Brown Sugar. I just know it will taste amazing. I'll let you know.
xo bj
oh, and did I miss the recipe for the frosting?