Christmas is getting closer.....

I still have *lots* to do...I'll be the crazy lady running around on Friday trying to finish up.
Can't wait for the CALM...that's when I am done shopping and everything is wrapped and ready...are you ready?

Also, I made pumpkin soup last night and WOW I have a new favorite. I have lots of canned pumpkin in my food storage and I was looking for ways to use it creatively....instead of for pie or cake.  I found this super great pumpkin soup recipe on Simply Recipes and it was so delicious....I know I'll be making it more often.  It's a nice creamy soup with just enough spice to make it NOT bland. Don't let the ingredients fool you....it warms the tongue and the belly just right. It was too good not to share:

Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe

Ingredients

  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional) ***(I left this out because I didn't have any)
  • 3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin*
  • 5 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)**
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Method
1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.
2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
3 ( I skipped this step entirely) Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.
4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream. Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.
Serve in individual bowls.

Yield: Serves 8.

My daughter's boyfriend is a vegetarian so I am trying to prepare meatless cuisine for him these next few weeks...this forces me to get creative and think outside the box.  On Christmas we are having a Prime Rib and a Vegetarian Lasagna...and whatever else I can think of.  We still have 2 days left of homeschool before Christmas break....lots left to do.

Blessings to all!

8 comments:

ohiofarmgirl said...

Don't forget that beans..and bean burritos/ cheese dishes...hang in there! Dianntha

Vee said...

Oh that soup looks yummy. I, too, have a lot of pumpkin in the pantry as there was that pumpkin scarcity scare back along...what a way to sell a lot of cans of pumpkin!

You sound very busy. I vote for canning homeschool. Sure! You're the principal, go for it. =)

Carol A.Bender said...

I love pumpkin soup. Yours looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Liane said...

mmmmmm....veggie lasagne!!

Trish said...

Love love love pumpkin soup! Hope you don't get too tired with all you still have to do...take time for yourself this holiday season.

Attic Clutter said...

HI Robin(:)
Been a long while
How are ya ?
the soup looks delish(:)
hugs,Patty

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Sounds wonderful Robin! I love soups like that, filling and good for you!

Happy New Year to you and yours,
Sherry

Life on the Edge said...

That pumpkin soup looks so good! We are going to have to try that sometime as we are soup-lovers.

After a 7 month absence, I have finally posted again and put up wedding pics.

Not sure if I will be able to be in blogland very often due to job demands, being a wife and homemaker, and the duties of being a pastor's wife, but I'm going to try!

Hugs!
Kady
Life on the Edge