Sadie May....

...awww...this is one of my favorite pics...Kai got a new kitten a few weeks ago and Sadie just adores him, they became fast friends once the kitten figured out Sadie wasn't going to eat him.
If I were to describe Sadie I would have to say she's gentle, sweet, patient, loyal and trusting....we couldn't have asked for a better dog.  From the moment we adopted her years ago, we knew she was special.  I didn't think a dog would fit into our lifestyle but we learned very quickly that Sadie was willing to work us into hers.

A few weeks ago we noticed Sadie was not acting like her usual self....she was panting while climbing the stairs and started to refuse food on a not so regular basis...about every third day she would fast and then she started running a fever.  We took her to the vet who said her chest sounded congested and they decided to do a chest xray with no results...then maybe a uterine infection, so an abdominal xray with minimal results and finally, we got a referral to another vet for an ultrasound...just to rule out the uterine infection. 

The ultrasound revealed some very grim news, Sadie was diagnosed with stage 5 Lymphoma.  All of her lymph nodes are affected as are all her internal organs...chemotherapy was discussed but with her prognosis it was revealed it would have little, if any, effect.  I was told to take her home and enjoy her...the vet told me it could take "days or weeks"...... so crushing to hear.

I have googled this disease and read story after story until my husband told me to stop...I was trying to learn as much as I could, but reading other people's stories of how they lost their beloved dogs to cancer was just tearing me apart.   I did. however, learn that cancer cells feed on carbs and the best thing I could do for Sadie now was keep her comfortable by cooking her high protein, low carb, grain free meals to possibly slow the progression of the cancer.  Will it work...I dunno...but it will make me feel better knowing I am doing something for her that I can control.

Sadie is currenly on prednisone which is a steroid to help reduce the inflammation...we have already noticed that the lymph nodes in her neck aren't as swollen as they were.   One of the side affects is that she pants every now and then.....but only for a short time.  Otherwise, she still enjoys fetching her ball and continues to bark whenever the doorbell rings.  I have noticed she's gotten a bit slower on our nightly walks and she doesn't like to walk as far as she used to...she now lets me know it's time to go home by simply turning around and walking back towards home....so I obediently follow.

We live within walking distance to a lake...it's just down a short trail.  I took Sadie to the lake on Saturday and she couldn't wait to get in the water...I was a bit hesitant at first because I wasn't sure if she was strong enough to swim but she proved me wrong! I threw her tennis ball out into the lake about 10 times and she swam out to retrieve it each and every time. I didn't take pics of her in the water because I was trying to keep an eye on her...I did take her into the arboretum to dry off and play fetch so we took pics there.
...at the lake....look at that smile...she know's shes going to get to go swimming soon.
..waiting for me to throw the stick so she can go fetch it.
...look at that face....does that look like a sick doggie to you?
She had so much fun, she didn't want to get in the jeep to come back home...but she loves going for rides so I was finally able to persuade her.
Back home......that's my big sweet couch potato. The only thing I can do is love her as much as I can.
She is ever present, always at my side...I'm ashamed to say that there was a time that it used to annoy me....I couldn't even go to the bathroom without her finding me.. but now I am savoring every single second of it.

Blessings to all for a great week.
~Robin