I said Goodbye today............

...to my coffee creamer. Half and Half to be exact. I'm done...we've had a long affair and it was great while it lasted, never left me unsatisfied...but I am now left with those "comfort pounds" one gets when in a stable relationship.  I am not an artifical creamer person, never have been...I don't like the flavored liquid kind or the powdered kind (ack!) and milk just doesn't cut it for me.  I have only ever bought fat free milk and quite honestly, fat free milk in coffee is gross to me. 

I like to languish over a few cups of coffee in the morning, so my creamer consumption was adding up. I looked into the "fat free" half and half brands but after reading the ingredients at the grocery store I found there are syrups and additives that I just don't want in my body.  It was suggested to me to use evaporated skim milk because it has a thicker consistancy like cream but without all the "extras".......has anyone ever tried this?

  I can drink black ice coffee but I like a hot cup first thing in the morning and for some reason I cannot drink black coffee hot.  If you've ever tried evaporated skim milk in your coffee, let me know what you thought of it. I may be running out to the store soon to pick some up.
Blessings to all!

10 comments:

Vee said...

Yes, I've tried it. Not for me. I stick with the Half and half because I only have one cup of coffee daily and I want it to be excellent. I buy the smallest size and it lasts. For the small amount I use on a daily basis, I justify it. Some suggest using regular cream because it doesn't have the additives. I found that I didn't use it quickly enough and it spoiled. All the best with whatever you decide!

twobarkingdogs said...

Robyn, what I do is make one cup and put in a tsp of sugar and some regular half/half. Then, when I want more coffee .. I just top it off (2x or 3x) but I don't add any more sugar and creamer. It works for me.

Mumzie said...

Try using 2% milk...then 1% milk. Measure out how much you will use and count the points or calories. Trust me you will get used to it. Save the half and half for special occasions. I tried the non-fat half and half, but it has too many fillers and chemicals. I'd rather use 2% milk.

Becky K. said...

I'm sorry. Hopefully you'll find something else to love. Our friend uses sweetened condensed milk but somehow I don't think that would be a great replacement.

myletterstoemily said...

oh you poor thing. i can't imagine that
first cup without cream and sugar. i can
drink it black after that first one but not
on an empty stomach.

Trish said...

Oh....I have sooooo been there dearie. The day I give up cream (half and half) I will give up coffee. Black does NOT cut it for me. But like Vee...I have instead cut back on my coffee intake so that I somehow feel justified. Good luck!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Hi Robin, It was so nice to hear from you! Time for me to catch up on your blog!!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I've tried a recipe using sweetened condensed milk, milk and flavorings. I found the recipe on line. It was pretty good. Twyla

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

As a displaced Newfie girl, I was born and bred on condensed milk. But thankfully, I've lost my taste for it. So, no I wouldn't advise it.

I weaned myself off creamer by going to whole milk then 2% and then 1%. Hope this works for you.

ohiofarmgirl said...

I think if I was cutting it back..I would stick with what you love just reduce the number of cups. For me at least I would not be satisfied and then there would be a new problem...try reducing to 1 1/2 cups...drink slowly and enjoy!! Dianntha